IRATA Safety Bulletin SB38 – EntanglementRope Access USA
IRATA have published the following safety bulletin here
Entangled tool lanyard during drilling operations
1. The incident
- Employee #1 is on top of the drilling area to lube the drilling bit.
- Employee #2 is on rope doing the drilling from the bottom towards the upper level.
- Employee #3 is holding the safe ty line for the magnetic drill.
- Employee #4 is stand by at the edge of the platform to hand over equipment.
2. Incident analysis
3. Control measures implemented
4. Recommendations for further control measures
- Conduct thorough pre-use checks of items/tools/equipment used at height regarding its suitability for use in a tethered configuration.
- Where appropriate choose auto feed lubrication systems over manual feed.
- Use extended nozzles so that an increased distance between lubricator and machine is maintained.
- Use elasticated or retractable tool tethers/lanyards to reduce unnecessary slack coming into contact with moving machinery thus reducing the entanglement risk.
5. Recommendations for further reading
- For further information on identifying hazards and measuring risk reference ICOP Annex A – Risk assessment.
- For further information on safe execution of sequence of procedure reference ICOP Annex B – Safety method statements.
- For further information on using work equipment from anchor lines reference ICOP Annex M – Use of tools and other work equipment.